Things you should look for when buying your next set of bed sheets!
To shop for the finest Italian bed linen made, click on the below shop button.
Use code bedding tips at checkout to get 5% off your entire purchase.
Bedding and bed sheets are available in many different price points.
There are the $80 bed sheets sets you find on the internet, to luxury bed sheets selling for over $1,000 dollars and everything in between.
Here’s some criteria you will want to consider, along with some of the questions that we are regularly asked.
Which fabric to consider:
Bed sheets come in a many of different materials: silk, bamboo, Modal (wood fiber), linen and of course cotton.
There are benefits and drawbacks to some of these.
- Bamboo – inexpensive, it starts out soft, but, can become rough with time, it is also not that durable.
- Modal – very expensive, it is very soft, but we have found some it not that durable as well.
- Silk – Super soft, snags easily, difficult to clean, can be hot, good silk is expensive and not durable.
- Linen – Good linen is expensive, it wrinkles more than cotton, very durable, starts out a little rough but gets better with washings.
- Cotton – The most popular, very durable, washable, wicks moisture well, and is available in many different qualities.
Today’s mattresses manufacturers have gotten overzealous with the thicknesses of mattresses.
- Mattresses today are available from 9” to 24” thick and everything in between.
- Measure the thickness of your mattress, before you purchase new sheets to ensure the fitted sheet will not be too small for your mattress.
- When the fitted sheet is too small or tight, it may slip off the corners.
- They may also be difficult to put on if they are too tight adding stress to the fabric.
We think you should look for:
- 100% Cotton – cotton sheets are the best overall fabric for bed linens. Cotton represent the best value, durability and comfort when it comes to bedding.
- Look for a good grade of cotton (not all cotton is created equal).
- Finishing details – finishing does not add comfort or softness to the sheet, but decorative details do add aesthetic appeal and it speaks to the pride of workmanship that went into the product.
Are all bed sheets the same?
No way Jose, they run the gamut of price and quality.
- The quality of those 1500 thread count sheet sets selling for $80.00, is more than suspect.
- See the below video on thread count and why it is somewhat of a secondary consideration.
- Some of the finest sheets can sell for upwards of $1,800.
The differences in quality often justifies the higher prices.
- Other factors can come to play such as, retail distribution. This can result in a mark-up ranging between 225% to 250%.
- At Vero Linens, we do not have a retail mark-up, as we do not sell to retailers - this represents as much as a 60% savings on our luxury linens.
- When a designer’s name is placed on the label there is a royalty paid to them which means additional mark-up.
Remember in life, most times you get what you pay for.
In the below video, we discuss thread count and what it doesn’t & doesn’t mean.
To shop for the finest Italian bed linens click on the below shop button.
Use the code bedding tips at checkout & get 5% your entire purchase.
View over 150+ bedding related articles on our “How to Tips” page here.