To shop for our luxury feather & down sleeping pillows - click here.
To shop for luxury down comforters - click here.
Use code bedding tips at checkout & get 5% off your entire purchase.
There is a difference between down and feather.
Feather has a noticeable quill and is denser than down.
Down has a very small quill but it is almost undetectable, Down as a lot less structure.
All birds have down and feathers, however, the down used for pillows, comforters and jackets is from waterfowl.
- The unstructured nature of a down cluster allows it to trap more air. This trapped air, acts as an insulator.
- Down does not generate heat, it simply holds in your body heat.
Down is primarily found in the breast area of the bird.
- There is far less down on a bird than there is feather.
- Therefore, down is typically 3 to 4 times more expensive than feather.
- Separating down from feathers is not really sophisticated. Both are placed into a larger chamber. Air is then blown into the chamber. The down & feather are then lofted by air jets. Then the air is then shut off.
- The heaver, feathers fall to the bottom of the chamber and the lighter down settles at the top.
- The feather and down is then removed from the chamber, graded and used accordingly.
Down comforters use primarily down for their filling vs. a feather & down combination.
- Because of the dense and more structured nature of feather, a feather pillow is typically firmer than a down pillow.
We think it is safe to say, down and feather are the most popular filling for sleeping pillows and we think they make the best sleeping pillow.
To shop for the finest luxury bedding click on the below shop button.
Use the code bedding tips at checkout & get 5% off your entire purchase.
View our 150+ articles about bedding on our “How to Tips” page found here.