Sateen vs. Satin
To shop for the finest luxurious cotton Italian bed linens click on shop now button.
What is the difference between Sateen & Satin?
The dictionary definition of Sateen:
- A smooth durable lustrous fabric usually made of cotton. It’s often found in bed linens. Sateen, is usually 100% woven cotton, although it is occasionally woven from rayon.
The dictionary definition of Satin:
- A fabric in satin weave, with lustrous face and dull back.
Satin can be made from silk, although it is usually made from polyester or other synthetic yarns. At Vero Linens, we believe that both silk and the synthetic version are not exceptional bedding fabrics and here is why:
- Silk of high quality is very expensive. It also doesn’t breathe well and people find it to be hot. It is challenging to clean, snags easily and wears poorly.
- Synthetic Satin is inexpensive, but also doesn’t breathe well. It snags and pills very easily. Satin sheets can look very cheap after a few cycles in the washing machine.
Sateen has no correlation to satin in the context of a bed sheet. Sateen refers to the method in which the sheet was woven.
The most popular weaves used in bedding are Sateen and Percale. In the below video we explain the difference between the two.
A “sateen weave” is created by having one vertical thread woven over two or more horizontal threads. Here are some more facts about the sateen weave.
- More of the individual yarn’s surface is exposed on the surface of the fabric, making the fabric much smoother than if it was woven with a standard type percale weave.
- Higher quality sateen’s are mercerized to give the fabric a higher sheen (read about mercerizing here). The mercerizing process treats the cotton with sodium hydroxide to increase its luster and affinity for dye. It also makes the fabric more mildew resistant and stronger.
Vero Linens brings you a wide assortment of luxury linens, include the sateen and percale varieties. Our customers can also choose from sateen duvet covers, percale comforter covers, and much more. When you are ready to start shopping for fine bed linens made in Italy, contact Vero Linens and let us deliver luxury to you.
To shop for the finest luxury bedding click on the below shop button.
Use code bedding tips at checkout & get 5% your entire purchase.
View 150+ bedding related articles on our “How to Tips” page here.