To shop for Italy's finest luxury bedding click on the below shop button.
Use the code bedding tips at checkout to get 5% off your entire purchase.
Pillow shams are a nice decorative accent to any bed, but if not stuffed properly, they can look frumpy.
When stuffing a pillow sham, fold the pillow in half (length wise) and insert it in the sham, this accomplishes two things;
- It allows you to get the insert into the pillow opening easier.
- It doesn’t create strain on the pillow sham's sewn seams, which does happen, when you shake the pillow all the way down from the opening...
Many pillow shams have decorative flanges, but floppy flanges on pillow shams don’t look great.
Here are a few tips that will assist in getting them to stand up.
The best filler for a sham is feather pillow;
- They are very inexpensive.
- Feather is free flowing; feather pillows will fill out the corners of the pillow better than other types of inserts.
- Polyester fill pillows have a tendency to bunch up and do not fill the corners of the sham out as well as a feather pillow.
- If you are using old under stuffed pillows – consider tossing them. If the pillow is not full, your sham will look limp and lifeless.
Once the pillow is placed in the pillow sham, turn the sham upside down (with the opening - facing up). Holding the sham from the opening end, shake it back and forth, driving the pillows top edge, to what will be the top seam of the edge when placed on the bed.
- If there is a gap between the top edge of the pillow and the top seam of the sham, the soft fabric of the sham will fold over and not stand up.
With one hand, grab the excess fabric that you will likely have at the opening edge of the sham.
- Flip the pillow right side up and set in place.
- Set your corners on edge.
If the flange still flops over, gently push down in the center of the top edge of the pillow and sham.
- This creates a valley in the pillow sham giving it a little rigidity.
- Ironing & starching the pillow sham also aids in getting more body in the sham.
Shop for the finest luxury Italian linens here.
Use the code bedding tips at checkout and get 5% off your entire purchase.
View 150+ bedding related articles on our “How to Tips” page here.