Are you getting enough sleep?
There are health risks associated with too much or too little sleep!
Researchers at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Massachusetts have concluded that the number of hours of sleep required is seven.
They concluded that either too much or insufficient sleep in middle age women led to an increase in memory loss.
- As well, they concluded that those who also had erratic sleeping patterns (one that changed by more than two hours a day) developed faulty memories later in life when compared to those that maintained regular sleeping patterns and habits.
"Given the importance of preserving memory into later life, it is critical to identify modifiable factors, such as sleeping habits, that may help achieve this goal," “
"Our findings suggest that getting an average amount of sleep, seven hours per day, may help maintain memory in later life and that clinical interventions based on sleep therapy should be examined for the prevention of cognitive impairment " said study co-author Elizabeth Devore.
The study looked at the past sleep patterns and memory skills of about 15,260 female nurses aged 70 or older who were participants in the long-running Nurses' Health Study.
When compared to women who'd gotten the recommended seven hours of sleep a night vs. those who'd slept less than five hours or more than nine hours demonstrated weaker memory skills – that equated to aging two or more cognitive years.
- These findings were presented in 2012 at the Alzheimer's Association International Conference, and the study has also been published in The Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
The National Sleep Foundation recommends the following hours of sleep:
Adults 18 and older - 7 to 9 hours a night
Children 11 to 17 – 8 ½ to 9 ½ hours per night
Children 6 to 11 - 10 to 11 hours per night
- According to Natalie Dautovich Ph.D. “a good night’s sleep play’s an important role in giving the brain a daily tune-up, flushing away the day’s waste during the night so you wake up refreshed”.
- As well she said “new findings in the sleep science, underline the fact that sleep is the corner stone of a healthy lifestyle”.
What does this all mean – consider investing in items that help promote a comfortable sleep environment i.e. – luxury bedding…
- There are few things nicer than a great bed, consider some nice Italian bed sheets, some incredible (fully stuffed) down or down/feather pillows, a nice soft thick mattress pad, a light weight duvet cover, a warm & cozy down comforter and a great mattress.
To shop for Vero’s luxury bedding, click on the below shop now button.
Use code bedding tips at check out and get 5% off your entire purchase.
View 150+“How to Tips” bedding related articles & videos here.