Sometimes people can't recall the size of mattress they have, so, here is an overview.
Twin – 39” x 75”
Ex. Long Twin – 39” x 80”
Full (often called a double) – 54” x 75”
Queen – 60” x 80”
King – 78”” x 80”
California King – 72” x 84”
You may also need to know:
- Most twin fitted sheets are 75” long.
- If you have an extra-long twin, most fitted sheets will not fit properly.
- You will need to look for fitted sheets specifically made for an extra-long twin mattresses, this will limit your choices.
- Many colleges use the extra-long twin mattress in their dormitories.
- Full size mattresses are not as popular as they use to be; bedding choices for full size may be more limited.
- Most bedding suppliers use queen size products for both full & queen, these are items such as flat sheets, duvet covers & quilts/coverlets.
- The fitted sheets are made specifically for either a queen or full size.
- King mattresses have variation – some are 76” wide, some are 78” wide.
- We are not sure why this difference exists, but it does.
- The difference however is so slight that it doesn’t cause any real fit issues.
- A California King is not as popular as a regular King (which is sometimes referred to as an Eastern King).
Use the code bedding tips at checkout & get 5% off your entire purchase.
View our 150+ “How to Tips” bedding related articles & videos found here.